Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Potty Time

Potty time is the most frustrating time for me. Alex is the slowest eater on the face of the planet, but he is even slower in the bathroom. He has been a month in underwear, and he's doing fine going potty, even though he waits till the last possible moment and does the pee pee dance while attempting to pull down his pants. Then, after he goes, he lays down on the bathmat in child's pose until the end of time. I have often threatened to take the rug out of the bathroom and he tells me that would make him sad. I either have to sit in there with him and prompt him thru each step in the process or let him hang out in the bathroom (of all places) for a half an hour on the floor before he runs out naked without flushing or washing his hands. So today, I prompted him from the next room while I was on the computer. When he was done, he came into me with wet hands. I asked him if he dried his hands and he said yes. So I go to use the bathroom a little later and find the towel on the counter soaking wet. I asked him to come in the bathroom for a minute and when he came, he said, "What? Did I leave the light on?".

On a different note, he has been waking up to go potty in the middle of the night. I didn't expect him to be nighttime potty trained for a while. Being 8 months pregnant, I really am not in the mood to get up and help him and quite frankly he doesn't want my help because he's a daddy's boy. Dancing frantically, he wouldn't pull his pants down until daddy arrived. So, I just let David take care of these moonlighting activities.

I'm so tired of the hand holding and wish he would just do these things on his own and at a quicker pace. David called him a slow poke last night at his potty time and he said that made him sad. His frowny face is almost as hilarious as his fake laugh when he wants to join in the fun.

4 comments:

Emily F. said...

Hang in there! I never thought my kids would learn to wipe by themselves!

Sara said...

I'm sure it will be over soon! You are a saint for potty-training while 8 months pregnant. :)

Kirstin Schmidt said...

I love you Alison, I also love that stubborn Alex too. He is so dang funny. It's hard to not laugh at his frowny face and his puppy dog eyes. We love you. I hope it ends soon. I also hope for your sake that he wipes his rear on his own too. There is nothing more annoying than going and wiping a 6 year olds butt.

BL said...

haha so cute! SORRY! i think the worst things are cute.
are you having a shower? i have a gift for you!